I am obsessed with Harry Potter. I was first introduced to the series when I was around nine or ten years old. My brother and I were looking for something to watch and we stumbled upon Chamber of Secrets playing on HBO. It took me only a few minutes to realise how much I loved the wizarding world.
Fast forward to a few years later and by the time I turned fifteen I had already watched each movie several times to the point of knowing every dialogue by heart. I had taken the Pottermore quiz and I knew all my Harry Potter facts through and through.
There was only one problem, I hadn’t read the books. All my Harry Potter knowledge was based off what I got from the movies. And while I did know a few things I soon realised I was missing out on a lot. There were whole scenes and characters that were cut out from the movies.
I recently binged through the Harry Potter series on my kindle and made quite a few observations. But before I start let me put a little disclaimer since I know how “touchy” we are over the series.
*Everything I say below is my own opinion, they do not have to be yours and I am in no way dissing JKR or the Potter Franchise or Warner Brothers.*
Book Characters Vs. the Movie Characters
While the movies did do justice to a few of the characters there are a few that really disappointed after reading the books. The most notable of these were –
- Ginny Weasley: Book Ginny was feisty right from the start. She was popular and has a voice of her own. She held her ground and didn’t mind putting some sense into Harry and her siblings when they needed it. Movie Ginny on the other hand? She seemed like a “damsel in distress”. Movie Ginny was only meant to be Harry’s love interest and nothing else. They left out so much that would have made her a great character! It is sad because Bonnie Wright would have definitely been able to portray the true Ginny spirit extremely well.
- Ron Weasley: Book Ron is an amazing character with depth and brains. Movie Ron was just a sidekick? Book Ron stood up for Hermione instead of belittling her. Book Ron had emotion and wasn’t just number two. He a great Best Friend not just to Harry but to Hermione as well.
- Draco Malfoy: I must admit that I liked Draco Malfoy in the movies mainly because of my crush on Tom Felton. I guess that prevented me from seeing what the character truly was. Book Draco was an entitled, racist brat. He was rude and a massive bully. Movie Draco was turned into this misunderstood bad boy, which obviously made girls fall for him in droves!
- Dolores Umbridge: Umbridge makes this list because she could have been worse. If you hated movie Umbridge then you will definitely hate her more and more in the books! Maybe they had to tone her down to fit the audience? That woman was pure evil.
A few characters where the movies did great were that of Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood, Professor McGonnagal and Dumbledor to name a few.
Characters That Were Ignored.
One word. PEEVES! The mischievous Hogwarts poltergeist was completely cut out from the movies. The trouble he gave Umbridge along with Fred and George Weasley made the whole Umbridge episode bearable.
Scenes That Were Not Included.
This really riles me up because you know what? They would have made the story so much better!
- Neville meeting his parents at St. Mungos. That scene broke my heart into tiny little pieces. But it also helped us understand Neville better.
- Professor McGonagall duelling the Aurors in Order of the Phoenix. Did you know that she suffered four stunning spells to her chest and was then sent to St. Mungos for treatment? Neither did I until I read the book!
- The Golden Trio enter the Hogwarts Kitchen. I loved this scene and wish they included it in the movies.
- Hermione’s SPEW activism. Why did they not include this!? This whole thing told us a lot about Hermione and her character as a whole.
- The Battle of Hogwarts. I get that their might have been CGI and special effect limitations as well as budget restrictions but the battle Hogwarts in the last movie could have been so much better if they had followed what was in the book.
I love the movies! Don’t get me wrong here but we all know that the books are always better. Don’t be like me and rely only on the movies. There are so many more things that you will discover if you read the book. Trust me, you will fall in love with the story even more.
Have you noticed any difference that I may have left out? Let me know and let’s discuss.